Tuesday 22 March 2016

Birthday cake

For today's card, I combined watercolouring with 2 different stamp sets and a die by SugarPea Designs from the SOA Young at Heart collection. This is a really versatile collection of stamps, dies and a stencil, and it was hard to decide which supplies to use first...


After creating my watercolour background using distress inks, I stamped the sentiment and the bottom layer of my cake using Versamark ink and heat embossed using WOW gold embossing powder. I added more colour to the bottom layer using Picked raspberry distress ink and then stamped the top cake layer and the candle using Altenew inks, and when the ink was dry, I heat embossed the second candle image from the set in gold ep.
After die cutting my panel using a stitched rectangle die (SSS), I added a little frosting to my cake layers using a stencil I had die cut using one of the SugarPea dies accompanying the cake stamp set, Ranger Texture paste and a little Altenew Buttercream ink (so fitting lol). After my frosting was dry, I added foam tape to the back of my panel and mounted the panel onto my card base.

Edited for Darnell's Boo Boo hop to tell you about my Boo Boo.
My card started life as a perfect one-layer card, but before I added the frosting to the cake, I decided to run my card through my Cuttlebug to flatten it out...folded and with another piece of cardstock as a shim... Not a good idea... The edges of my shim were embossed on my front panel and the heat embossed sentiment left an imprint on the inside of my card. I felt so lucky that I managed to salvage my panel by die cutting it and layering it on top of a new card...

Challenges:
CAS Mix Up - Stamping, watercolouring and your choice (heat embossing, embossing paste)
Right at Home - National craft month celebration blog hop (showcase your favourite crafty things - watercolours, SOA box and my trusted stitched rectangle die)
Stamplorations March CAS challenge - Anything CAS goes (optional colour twist: yellow)






19 comments:

  1. This is awesome Marianne!! Love the soft watercoloured background with the gold embossed large sentiment and sweet birthday cake image. The embossing paste made perfect "frosting"! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful birthday cake, Marianne! Love that buttercream piping! And that big sentiment is so pretty with the soft watercolor wash behind it! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL card Marianne!!!
    LOVE your layered cake, LOVE your sentiment and inky background too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your sweet card.
    Crafty hugs,
    Dawn
    DesignsbyDragonfly.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely... makes me consider going out and getting a piece of cake just now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card, love the bold sentiment and the cake! Thank you for playing along with the STAMPlorations CAS Challenge. We hope to see you back again soon! Karola, DT, InvisiblePinkCards

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely done that (many times - I never learn) before! I usually do the same taht you did to rescue mine - cut it off the card and layer it on to another card base! Good job we can laugh at ourselves though eh? TFS! Hazel xx
    My Card Attic

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of my best cards come from boo boo's! Trying to re-arrange to cover something makes me think outside the box a wee bit! The sun on my card today is covering a big ol' ink smudge LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a pretty birthday card, Marianne, and a lot of work! I'm so glad you were able to save it! The same thing happened to me not too long and it was right across my image so I wasn't able to save it. I've also gotten "embossed" marks from over-used cutting plates! (That's when I know it's time to get new ones!)

    Thank you so much for being a good sport and playing in my first BFCBB Hop! Enjoy the weekend and I hope your husband is continuing to improve!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol I've done that but usually I've made it upside-down or it opens the wrong way. Even do that with envelopes after I put stamps on of course do I realize nice save on your card hugs Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy you 'saved' this one, Marianne! It really is very pretty with all the layers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a beautiful card and I am glad you were able to salvage it. I know I have gotten cards in the mail that left the imprint of the sentiment on the opposite panel of the base card inside. So I can see where putting it through a machine that applies pressure could do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great that you had a 'fixable' oops, because this is one yummy card in every way! Fabulous 'boo boo' to share in this oh-so-fun hop!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great recovery Marianne - it has so happened to me too, have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you were able to save it. It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great save and such a beautiful card, thanks for sharing. This has happened to me soooo many times and usually in a spot that cant be saved.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great save! You'd never know that wasn't the size/shape intended as it looks perfect. Cara x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tip for flattening out a card, but if I try it I'll pick the size of my shim very carefully
    Jane

    ReplyDelete