Sunday 20 September 2020

MFT Card Design Superstar - Colouring Virtuoso Storybook Scene

Hello crafty friends. Thanks for stopping by.
It's that time of the year again when My Favorite Things is hosting their Card Design Superstar contest.



When I recently purchased Sandy Allnock's Colored Pencil Course: Storybook Scenes, I thought this would be perfect to jumpstart my creation for this year's MFT contest in the Coloring Virtuoso category. I originally intended to use my Polychromos, but then my eye fell on my Spectrum Noir ColourTint graphite pencils, that I had only used once before. These are water soluble, so I used a paint brush and water to do my blending instead of gamsol or odourless mineral spirits.

After sketching out my scene onto a Canson Mixed Media panel and adding a first layer of colour, I stamped the sweet woodland critters (Friends in the Forest) and butterfly (Sow Much Cuteness) in Antique linen distress ink. I coloured my critters before going back to the scene and left the butterfly until the very end, since I wasn't sure yet which colour I would use and then settled for lilac/mauve. To finish off, I stamped the Hello sentiment (Seaside Seagulls) in Elderberry Memento ink and adhered my panel to a brown card base, leaving the slightest border. I also used a white Polychromos coloured pencil to clean up the white parts of the critters.

Thank you, MFT, for encouring me to get colouring. This was not only my first attempt at creating a storybook scene, it was also my first attempt at no-line colouring.

2 comments:

  1. What a super scene with the Fox Marianas, I really love to see them, just a shame they hunt down our hens.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an impressive first attempt I have to say. The deer is too cute!

    ReplyDelete