Wednesday 30 August 2017

Vintage snowman

I was determined to play along with the lovely Jingle Belles this fortnight, where Lauren and Stef are challenging us to create a vintage Christmas card, which they do once a year. When I think of vintage cards, my first thought is of usually of multiple layers, but I figured I would try my hand at a one-layer vintage Christmas card this year.


If you look closely, you will see that I ended up with two layers, but that's because I started my card with a panel of watercolour cardstock. I created my background using the smooshing technique with distress oxide inks (Antique linen and a little Vintage photo). After my panel was dry, I stamped my snowman (Christmas Blueprint, Stampers Anonymous, which has been patiently waiting in my stash to be used) using Vintage photo DOI and carefully sprayed a little water to let the distress ink spread just a little. I tried bleaching out some of the ink on the snowman's body with the help of a waterbrush and a paper towel, and then added a little colour to the hat, nose, scarf and shaded body areas using Inktense pencils and a very small paint brush. I inked the edges of my cardbase with some vintage photo DOI before adherin my panel using glossy accents. When I tried to remove a few shiny spots from the glossy accents using my sand eraser, I also remove a little of the ink, so I repeated this in several spots to make it look intentional. After all, it adds to the distressed look.

This was such a fun and fairly quick card to make, so I think I will go and create a set, using the other three images from the stamp set as well. 

Challenges:

Jingle Belles - Spirits of Christmas past

HLS Christmas - Anything goes




A Snowflakes Promise - #43 Anything Christmas goes

CHNC -  #348 Anything Christmas goes (optional: sth. old)

CHNC Extra - Always Anything Christmas goes

The Holly and Ivy - #13 Anything Christmas goes



6 comments:

  1. Love it - very vintage indeed, like an old photograph. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb vintage feel , fabulous snowman. Thanks for playing at HLS Christmas challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That stamp is gorgeous... as is your card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grappig hoe het gebruik van een simpele stempel, kleuren en materialen zoiets vintage oplevert op een eerst zo wit papier. 😘Ineke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I commented so late, but I had holiday vacations and no access to the computer. Your card is beautiful. Wonderful vintage design. I like the monochrome nature of the card.
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful card with us on HLS Xmas.
    Bożena DT HLS

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fabulous 'smooshed' card, Marianne, the perfect background for the Blueprint Snowman! Thanks for joining in at The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge!

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete